Alan Adler has a graduate degree in Design from Pratt Institute. He is the founder of Source Packaging and Cases by Source dedicated to producing custom packaging for industry. He took up wood turning in 2009. He has received awards at regional competitions and international recognition from peers from “The World of Wood Turners.”
For many years I was searching for a material and process to reconnect with my design roots and personal creative expression. Always drawn to wood and furniture building, I discovered turning. Nothing measures up to the excitement and discovery of peeling away layers of wood and exposing hidden treasures in grain, texture and color.
I have been fortunate to have met, studied and received advice and encouragement from many of the leading artists in this medium. This has inspired me to experiment beyond my comfort zone with color, carving and techniques borrowed from other art forms.
Major influences in my work come from studying art history and twentieth century masters. Observing simple and elegant forms, textures and patterns and viewing nature have inspired organic relevance that can all be seen throughout my work.
- 2015 Totally Turning, Saratoga, Jack’s Chair, whimsical Adirondack Chair, Third Place
- 2015 Totally Turning, Saratoga, Laminated Paper Bangles, Honorable Mention
- 2014 Totally Turning, Saratoga, Pendants in Jewelry Category, First Place
- 2012 Totally Turning, Saratoga, Poseidon’s Crown, Starfish, Third Place
- 2012 Northeastern Woodworkers Association, Saratoga, Oliver’s Chair, whimsical Adirondack Chair, Second Place
- 2011 Totally Turning, Saratoga, Starfish Bowl, Honorable Mention
- 2010 Totally Turning, Saratoga, Ambrosia Bowl, Second Place
- Gallery M, Greenport NY
- Gallery 23, Blairstown, NJ
- The Outside In, Piermont, NY
- The Center For Art In Wood, Philadelphia, PA
Share and Enjoy